Chapter 8 Eating and Mealtime

Would you describe yourself as a healthy eater? How does your approach to nutrition influence how and what you teach children about healthy eating?

I wouldn’t describe myself as a healthy eater. The meals that I have are alway balanced but they aren’t was healthy. I would say that my approach to nutrition will positively influence how and what I teach my children because I know a lot about who to eat healthy and I also know that when talking to children its easier but the most important people to talk to are the parents and families so that they will learn and understand the importance and help push the children in the right direction and prepare healthier meals at home.

Think about mealtime in your classroom. Do you encourage conversation among children and / or talk to preverbal children? How would you describe this routine time of day ( e.g., peaceful, lively, chaotic)?

I would say that you would have to make sure to be very careful when talking to children / preverbal children when they are partaking in mealtime in the classroom. I tend to make sure that I give strict directions like sitting and eating and not walking around. This is important especially for choking purposes and to promote safety and healthy practices. Manners will also play apart of this routine especially since the children are expected to not take with their mouths full and they should make sure they are focusing on chewing and swallowing and feeding themselves if they are capable of doing so.